Outdated Film Stock Processing and Scanning
Price $115 per roll
Discontinued films such as the ever popular Kodachrome 40 film can still be processed using alternative chemicals. This isn’t a regular process and only a few labs are able to accommodate this because certain chemistries have to be recreated. Keep in mind that the film we are processing is generally long past its 'process before' date. Processing is done on a 'best attempt' basis; results can range based on a variety of factors such as storage conditions and age of film.
- Film will be processed in alternative chemistry as a black and white negative (it can not be projected.)
- Film will be scanned to digital using our Basic Scan (click here for a full scan description)
- The digital file will be uploaded to the internet and emailed to you
- The original film will be returned to you via first class mail
Outdated stocks include the following types of Super 8, Regular 8 and/or 16mm:
- Kodachrome 40
- Kodachrome II
- Kodachrome II Type A
- Kodak Ektachrome 160 Type A or G
Terms and Conditions (please read):
1. Turnaround time is 3-4 months. Processing is done on a ‘best attempt’ basis and there is no guarantee of an image.
2. Even if we are unable to salvage any kind of image at all from your motion film (any format), you will be billed the minimum charge. Typically about 80% of film comes back with a 'useable' image. Storage conditions and age of film as well as other factors all play into the image quality you could receive.
3. Additional shipping may be added for bulk orders (more than 3 rolls)
4. All film is inspected visually for image after processing. It is not always possible, even with magnification, to determine if what we see on the film will have enough detail to be captured in transfer. Our policy is to transfer a film if we deem the image discernible on some part of the film. The final transferred image quality may still be extremely poor; we err on the side of providing the customer with all possible salvaged image. If we detect any image on your film it will be transferred regardless of quality or quantity.
5. Please check your scans in a timely manner to make sure everything is playing properly on whatever system you are using. Due to the volume of work we do and the huge files that scans create, we cannot store files indefinitely. We allow a reasonable amount of time to be confident orders are received by customers. The drives we store backups on are cleared after 1 month.For more information, check out our blog post, Understanding Super 8 Film Stocks - What To Do with a Discontinued Roll of Film that was Never Shot or Never Developed.
Web Orders containing Film Stock: Web orders placed before 2pm PST will be shipped out same day if shipping via Fedex. Web orders with a US Mail carrier selection will ship within 2 business days, excluding holidays.
Web orders containing Services (ie: Processing and /or Scanning only):Carefully package up your film. If you are sending un-processed film, please write DO NOT X-RAY on the outside of the package. Please include a copy of your web order and a filled out Digital Mastering Service Agreement (we can not start work until this document is received). Once film is received by Pro8mm, it will be processed and or scanned in 3-5 business days (schedule and volume permitting). We will use the shipping option you selected at checkout to return the items back to you.
Web Orders Containing Cameras:Pro8mm cameras are made to order and may take 1-2 weeks. Fedex is recommended on all camera purchases. If your product is out of stock you will be notified by a sales team member within 24 hours. If you purchased a camera repair, Please carefully package up your camera and include a copy of your web order in the package.
When film is returned for processing and scan, all rolls will be prepped together onto one reel and one digital file per 400 feet. This applies to new packages, Kodak film, and archival film. No exceptions. Individual files or prep is available for an extra fee. See our Digital Mastering Services Agreement for prices and options.
In Store Pickup:
In store pickup is available at our Burbank, CA location and may be selected during checkout. A sales team member will contact you when your order is ready for pickup, within 24 hours.
Pro8mm uses standard Fedex delivery including ground, priority overnight, standard overnight, 2-day, express saver, international, and Saturday delivery, and standard USPS options such as Priority Mail and First Class Mail. Standards rates will apply depending on what you select on your Digital Mastering Service Agreement or at checkout. All items are shipped using the clients’ specified services to the clients’ specified address. All products ship with Fedex include signature required. Client that request package be delivered without a signature are responsible for tracking and delivery. For large orders, time sensitive orders or items of extreme value, Fedex is always recommended.
Customers may buy a drive from Pro8mm, have files delivered via global access, or supply your own drive as long as Pro8mm drive polices are met. See our Digital Mastering Services Agreement for a full list of options and requirements. Should you supply your own drive, the drive must USB3, formatted, and delivered before time of service, or a $35 fee with apply. No exceptions.
Pro8mm can no longer store customers film & files indefinitely free of charge. Beginning May 1, 2020 we will be charging customers if they want to leave their film, files or equipment at Pro8mm for more than 30 days. Storage is always free for the first 30 days! Your digital file on our server and your physical film at our facility if you can't pickup right away. After that, you may buy a 6, 12, or 24 month contract for storage. This option is great for clients who want to pick-up when they are in the LA area and not incur the cost of shipping, or just want that extra security for their digital file for a longer period of time. Any items left at Pro8mm without pre-paid storage will be considered abandoned and will be recycled after 30 days.
Physical Film PrePaid Storage / Any Film Format: 2 cents per foot. $8.00 minimum per contract available as a 6 month, 12 month or 24 month contract
Digital File Storage / Any Size: 10 cents per GB. $8.00 minimum per contract available as a as a 6 month, 12 month or 24 month contract
Refund / Return Policy:
Pro8mm has a no refund/no return policy. All sales are final. We regret that we cannot exchange any film stock for a different stock once it has left our facility. This is so we can ensure the highest possible standards of quality control.
Due to our high volume of orders, we do not contact clients when your package arrives unless we have a question about your order. Please write down your tracking number! If your package is in transit this will help us track it. Standard turn around times vary by product. Please see Turn Around Times for details. We recommend services with signature required and a tracking number to ensure confirmation of delivery.
Please send your items to:
Attention: Sales Team at Pro8mm
2805 West Magnolia Blvd Burbank, CA 91505