Pro8mm sees themselves as agents of change in the way people think about their home movies. We believe that personal media assets should be handled with the same quality and integrity as professional media projects. Rather than simply transfer your films, we digitally re-master them for preservation and future sharing.
Why Pro8mm for transferring Home Movies?
Pro8mm has over 40 years of expertise in 8mm film used in professional productions. Our years of experience have gained us extensive knowledge and insight into the way professionals handle their personal and professional media. When you re-master your home movies at Pro8mm, we apply the same workflow, quality, and integrity to your home movies as other professional jobs we do for the motion picture industry.
Unlike the local big box, camera store, or home hobbyist that can make a low quality DVD of your home movies from a low quality transfer system, we make a digital master of your film. We use state of the art professional scanning technology, the same equipment used to scan professional motion picture projects. We believe a digital master is the key to your legacy, because with a digital master, you have endless possibilities to use your film images in the future.
Our 3-step process is the VIP treatment for any home movie library.
1) SAFE KEEPING: A highly trained film professional will perform proper inspection and archival prep and cleaning of the original films, replace bad splices, add high quality leader to the front and tail to help you preserve your original film source. Your film will be given back to you on an archival safe reel for preservation.
2) HIGH QUALITY: The film is then digitally scanned using a sophisticated flying spot scanner. A professionally trained film colorist will handle the scan and can do color timing to adjust the color and exposure of each scene of the film. This technique is like Photoshop, and will often make the new digital master look better than the original film. Your digital master will then be encoded as high-end media files onto a high quality media hard drive.
3) USER-FRIENDLY: From your digital master, we can create various user-friendly digital versions, such as DVDs, Blu-Rays, iPad files, iPhone files, Apple TV files, You Tube files and more. These are the files that you can easily share with family members, give away as gifts, or re-create as new formats become available to you. These are always created from the digital master at the best quality.
Video Re-Master Choices
Like your aging film collection, your video tapes are also at risk and should be digitally re-mastered. Believe it or not, even though video technology is not as old as film, it has a much shorter shelf life.
For video tapes, we use the same high-quality video encoding system that we use for film, and we follow the same 3 step VIP process:
1) Keep the original tape masters safe
2) Make a high-quality digital master file and encode it onto a hard drive
3) Create fun, user-friendly digital versions such as DVD's, Blu-Ray, iTunes files, iPad files, etc. from the digital master
We can work with the following home movie tape formats: VHS, Hi-8mm, S-VHS, ¾", Mini DV, and VHS-C
Home Movies Resources and Education
For more information and best practices for your home movies, please visit our new website and brand, Home Movie Legacy, www.homemovielegacy.com
The purpose of Home Movie Legacy is to provide much needed education about how to properly care for and digitize your ageing collection of 8mm, super 8mm and 16mm film, as well as all those tape formats! Our books and blogs, resources and radio show will motivate you to do your "life review" through your family films. There is nothing that can match the power of home movies as a vehicle of transformation to move you forward in your life!