Pro8mm sees themselves as agents of change in the way people think about their home movies. We believe that personal media assets should be handled with the same quality and integrity as professional media projects. Rather than simply transfer your films, we digitally re-master them for preservation and future sharing.
Why Pro8mm for transferring Home Movies?
Pro8mm has over 40 years of expertise in 8mm film used in professional productions. Our years of experience have gained us extensive knowledge and insight into the way professionals handle their personal and professional media. When you re-master your home movies at Pro8mm, we apply the same workflow, quality, and integrity to your home movies as other professional jobs we do for the motion picture industry.
Unlike the local big box, camera store, or home hobbyist that can make a low quality DVD of your home movies from a low quality transfer system, we make a digital master of your film. We use state of the art professional scanning technology, the same equipment used to scan professional motion picture projects. We believe a digital master is the key to your legacy, because with a digital master, you have endless possibilities to use your film images in the future.
All Pro8mm Home Movie Legacy Transfers are digitally mastered on one of our sophisticated scanners that include:
- Images that are scanned frame for frame. Our state of the art flying spot scanners capture your images clean and flickerless.
- Our DaVinci color corrector offers the maximum possibility for color and exposure correction. They use both the scanners optical and digital to improve the image.
- Our drives are capstan, which alleviates stress on the film and eliminates the potential for film damage.
- Y-front dirt and scratch concealment technology to improve the look for both archival stocks and new color negative stocks.
- Native resolution to 3 different standards: SD (480 x 720), HD (1920 x 1080), and 2K (2048 x 1556.) We never up-res your files.
- All transfers are performed by an expert colorist with over 20 years of film experience.
Video Re-Master Choices
Like your aging film collection, your video tapes are also at risk and should be digitally re-mastered. Believe it or not, even though video technology is not as old as film, it has a much shorter shelf life.
For video tapes, we use the same high-quality video encoding system that we use for film, and we follow the same 3 step VIP process:
1) Keep the original tape masters safe
2) Make a high-quality digital master file and encode it onto a hard drive
3) Create fun, user-friendly digital versions such as DVD's, Blu-Ray, iTunes files, iPad files, etc. from the digital master
We can work with the following home movie tape formats: VHS, Hi-8mm, DV-CAM, Beta Max, Beta SP, 3/4" tape, Micro MV, H-DV and other formats.
Home Movies Resources and Education
For more information and best practices for your home movies, please visit our new website and brand, Home Movie Legacy.Home Movie Legacy
The purpose of Home Movie Legacy is to provide much needed education about how to properly care for and digitize your ageing collection of 8mm, super 8mm and 16mm film, as well as all those tape formats! Our books and blogs, resources and radio show will motivate you to do your "life review" through your family films. There is nothing that can match the power of home movies as a vehicle of transformation to move you forward in your life!