Why Pro8mm For Transferring Home Movies:
Unlike the local big box, camera store, or home hobbyist that can make a low quality DVD of your home movies from a low quality transfer system, we make a digital master of your film. We use state of the art professional scanning technology, the same equipment used to scan professional motion picture projects. We believe a digital master is the key to your legacy, because with a digital master, you have endless possibilities to use your film images in the future.
How to Choose a Scanning Workflow:
Choosing a scanning workflow is important because different workflows have different capabilities for how you want to see and use your film. Pro8mm offers 3 unique scanning systems so that clients can have the maximum flexibility in terms of budget, resolution and performance when using motion picture film. Choosing a workflow can be a challenge. Here are some rough guidelines to help you decide which method is best for you and your home movies:
- Scanned on a Y-Front Ursa Diamond Scanner with powerful Dirt & Scratch concealment
- Standard Definition resolution 720 x 480 interlaced formatting in the 4×3 aspect ratio to ProRes Files or DVD
- Packages come with a basic one-light color timing
- Scene-to-scene daVinci color and exposure correction upgrades are available
- Scanned on a Y-Front State-of-the-art Millennium II 2K Scanner with powerful dirt and scratch concealment
- Scans beautiful High Definition images (native 1920 x 1080 at 23.98pfs) or native 2K images (2048 x 1556 to DPX files) in outstanding clarity and color
- Scans and encoded frame for frame (no interlacing)
- Post services such as scene-to-scene daVinci color and exposure correction, framing, and stabilization included
- Scanned on a 5K Data Scanner
- Data 2K, Data 4K or U-HD formats available
- Scanned overscan as Full Aperture 4×3 or Cinema 16×9
- Scans are DATA leaving the most raw information off the film and onto the digital (LOG for negative film, Linear/Low Contrast for Reversal film)
Upgrades and Additional Options
Advanced settings such as transfers with sound, higher resolution digital files, and faster turn around times can be accommodated. Please inquire.
Pro8mm offers a discounted price structure that inherits professional services at consumer prices. This is achieved by transferring home movies when our general production-style work has down time. Pricing is per foot of film based on type of scan (Basic, Professional or Data) and film format (Super 8, 16mm, 35mm.)
Video Re-Master Choices
Like your aging film collection, your video tapes should also be digitally re-masted. Believe it or not, even though video technology is not as old as film, it has a much shorter shelf life!
We can work with the following home movie tape formats: VHS, Hi-8mm, DV-CAM, Beta SP, 3/4″ tape, Micro MV, H-DV and other formats. Tapes can be encoded to ProRes files onto a Hard Drive, Flash Drive or DVD.